The Parish Council meets on the second Thursday of every month at 7.30pm in the Parish Hall. Members of the public are welcome to attend these meetings.
The responsibilities of the Parish Council include:
- Submission of comments to planning authority on planning applications.
- Commons and village greens.
- Playing fields, playgrounds and local open spaces. The sportsfield at Whitley Chapel is the responsibility of the Parish Council. The area to the north was gifted to the council some years ago, while the area to the south is rented from the Diocese of Newcastle. It consists of a football pitch, a hard tennis court and a children’s playground, and on the hillside to the east there is a bike track.
- Public seats.
- The Wetlands project.
- Maintenance and conservation of the Dukesfield Arches
- Representation on the governing body of Whitley Chapel C. of E. First School.
- Representation on the Board of Trustees of the Parish Hall.
- Representation on the four Parishes B.O.A.T.s joint committee.
- Consultations on highway improvements and maintenance, public rights of way and social housing.